Intuitive and psychic messages are different than a thought. As your ability grows, you will be able to tell the difference between the two. Here are some valuable tips to get you started!
Open Your Mind
To The spirit World
Sign up and get your free ebook
As your logical left brain is in motion and thinks, your conscious mind is doing the work. Your conscious mind and thoughts are one. This is conscious thought and you are one with it. You might even find yourself overtaken by it. An example may be when you are organizing an event and all the surrounding details and plans related to it as well as your attendance of it in the coming weeks.
When you are receiving psychic information your all-knowing consciousness is at work – your right brain. In this space, you are an active observer of whatever is presenting in much the same way you observe the floating in and out of information at the beginning of meditation. Or, as you watch an event unravel, but are disengaged from it emotionally. As an observer of the information you are not creating it as you do in your thinking, logical mind space.
To enhance your intuition, focus on seeing yourself separate from anything that comes in. Resist temptation to interpret. Just look from the outside, in. Be the observer. Messages of psychic and intuitive inspiration come from nowhere, are spontaneous-feeling and most often have little to do with what you are thinking about in the given moment. They are gentle, and find you.
Psychic information and insights are of a high vibrational frequency and will transcend ego. If you notice low vibration thoughts of fear, worry, doubt or self-sabotage as you tune into this ability, you are not connected with your right brain/higher knowing. Also, it may take time to understand the messages you do receive. This is okay. Let the knowing come when it is ready to.
Psychic Information or Message Characteristics
Psychic information, impressions, images or senses are void of ego. They are gentle and natural, almost as if they float in effortlessly. You may notice they are also without emotion and seem impersonal, or unbiased. They are most certainly neutral feeling in nature. That psychic thoughts and downloads are without intensity of emotions can cause us to miss them. What is unique though about psychic messages is that there is a deep seated, back-end sense of certainty, ease, calm and peace that does accompany them and so that extent we have an internal and natural knowing of their validity. Psychic information can repeat (see Rule of Three below) and might even seem silly to our left brain. If you find yourself saying “Oh, that’s ridiculous, that couldn’t possibly be” then take a closer look. Psychic thoughts may also come in randomly in a scattered sort of way, unconnected to anything ongoing around presently.
You know you are experiencing psychic insight because the information will feel like it has come from a higher consciousness. You might also then notice a feeling of being compelled to put that inspiration into fruition by taking action.
Not Psychic Information or Message Characteristics
Thoughts we receive that are not psychic in nature we call mental noise. They are remnants and aspects of the interpretive function of the left brain. The left brain is at work here, telling you what the sensory information is and often jumping to conclusions. For example, I write Eiffel Tower and you begin imagining it. You’re left brain is now at work coming to a conclusion of what it thinks the Eiffel Tower looks like.
Thoughts and left brain interpretation data are a mix of memories, suggestions, imaginations and guesses generated by the conscious waking mind. This kind of information is exactly what makes psychic perception difficult and distorts accurate info coming in. The word mental noise is actually a well-known remote viewing term first coined by Ingo Swann, the father and creator of Controlled Remote Viewing. The most accurate psychics, it turns out, have learned to master the ability to quiet this left brain mental noise, aka., thoughts.
Some additional characteristics letting you know you are in left brain and you are not receiving psychic information:
- The image or information you are getting presents one after the other in a linear way. Meaning, one thought, after another and another. This is the way our left brain works, linearly, one thought connected to another. A string of thoughts.
- If you find yourself in the act of hesitating and/or saying to yourself “Uh, mmm, or hmm” then the very next thing will be left brain non psychic information. The action of hesitation means thought is coming next. These mentioned verbal expressions are also precursors to receiving left brain information. They are telling you the left brain is at work and a logical process is happening. Remember, right brain data is random, gentle, finds you, and drops in with no aforethought.
- Left brain thought can evoke emotions.
- Left brain thought is often nothing new to us and reinforces what we already know, believe or expect to be true.
- If it’s from the left brain we usually aren’t surprised by it nor is there originality to the information.
How does Psychic Information Present?
Psychic information and messages may come to you in many ways. They can present in inspired ideas, dreams, through automatic writing, while drawing or playing a musical instrument. Often, messages present while in meditation or while giving or receiving intuitive or psychic readings. The way they present comes in two ways:
1.) Consciously: Messages from your psychic ability may present like a gut feeling. You sense that you just know something, yet you don’t know how. In these moments, when a gut feeling has presented you are often consciously aware of messages.
2.) Subconsciously: Messages may also be received unconsciously. Speakers, authors, and artists naturally use their gifts of intuition while in the depths of creating.
You may find that you consciously or unconsciously tap into the divine mind for creativity and inspiration. Both are fine.
Let’s Reflect on Your Own Psychic Download Experience Now
Think back now and consider the past few days. Was there a moment where messages of psychic insight may have been trying to present to you? Let that memory come in. Don’t look for it. Don’t search for it. Let it find you. Perhaps you had a feeling someone you had not seen for some time would call, and then they did. Did you find yourself saying, “I knew it” surrounding an event or incident of some kind? Was there an inner knowing decision that you made that turned out to be right? Did the perfect words or artistic creation come to you at just the right moment with a feeling of exuberance or excitement? Perhaps, out of what seemed like nowhere you received an inspired idea that resolved a particular issue of importance. These would each be examples of times when you were receiving psychic guidance, whether you knew it then or not.
Psychic Development Tip: Remember the Rule of Three
Also, be mindful of the Three Times Rule. When you receive an intuitive message three times the message may be psychic related and your intuitive self trying to tell you something, in essence, your soul speaking to you. Do listen! As a simple example, you’re deciding whether to draw an eagle or lion for a special assignment in art class you just enrolled in and that you’re incredibly excited about. You’re absolutely torn because you have such an affinity for both gorgeous animals and really want to push yourself and do exceptional job on this assignment. Within 24 hours you’ve seen an eagle present in some fashion, by outright pure happenstance or even strange coincidence: on the cover of a magazine while sitting in the waiting room for an appointment, on a poster in the window storefront as you walk by on the way to lunch, and a friend mentions the eagle’s nest they found while on a hike. So, listen up and pay attention. If you get a message three times, then that’s your indication that the message is psychic or intuitive guidance!
10 Steps for Psychic Thought Exercise
Try this exercise to help you discern psychic thoughts from your own thoughts.
- Think of a question you would like to receive psychic insight about.
- Write it down in one clear and succinct sentence.
- Now, write down any expectations, desires, worries, fears, possibilities and potentials or any other information that comes about this question.
- As you are ready to receive psychic guidance be in a seated comfortable position with your bare feet on the ground. Now, breathe in and out. Inhale and exhale slowly for several breaths. Ask all tension, to-dos of the day, or concerns to leave. Make an agreement with your left brain that you’ll come back to the importance of life’s daily on goings when you are done.
- Now, ask your question out loud as you continue to breathe. Give notice to any thoughts that present. Remember, you are seeking emotion free, simple, clear and concise data that comes to you and naturally floats in.
- One you have received the psychic information, write it down.
- Give attention again to your breath. At this point, you may want to learn more about the psychic information you just got by now asking yet another specific question about it.
- Continue to write down your psychic messages and thoughts as they present.
- You will reach a point of knowing you have received all that you are needing to at this time.
- Set the information aside. Come back to it the next day giving particular notice to any psychic insights or a-ha moments that surfaced during the exercise.
Resist the temptation to make sense of the meaning of the psychic message if you don’t understand it just yet. That will come in time. It is essential to allow the psychic thoughts and messages space and time to evolve and make themselves known to you with clarity.
Navigating Psychic Messages
Psychic thoughts are not straight-forward and this can seem confusing. When this happens, your psychic skills are not lacking. We don’t always grasp or make sense of psychic information right away. This is actually a sign to you that the information is psychic. So, try meditation on the thought as opposed to rationally understand it. The knowing of the message comes in time.
Once set the intention to receive psychic information , you will receive it. Understand that it will come in a divine time that is not always your time. This usually happens when we have let it go, released it and are not thinking about it and have move on to something else that is distracting us. This distraction is good and helps us release the waiting or holding tight energy of an answer we are fixated on or attached to. So go get busy doing something to quiet your left brain thinking mind. The psychic message and answer will naturally slip right in.
If you are interested in learning more about how to connect deeply with higher power messages from your own thoughts, check out my Beginning Psychic and Mediumship Development Program. You might also enjoy Take the Leap: What It Really Means to Be Psychic as a start! Get your first four chapters free!
Photo credit: iStock