Intuition vs Instinct
Intuition, as important as it is, is not the same as instinct. The words intuition and instinct are often used inter-changeably but are completely different. Intuition is an innate knowledge or belief of something you can’t explain but you know is right. Instinct, on the other hand, is an autonomic response to stimuli without thinking. An instinctive human reaction is to raise your hand when you think someone might strike you. It is a natural behavior that functions according to fixed patterns, but intuition is a mental process that happens outside the realm of preset behaviors.
Sign up and get your free ebook
PSYCHIC DEVELOPMENT MUST-HAVES: How to Connect with Your Spirit Guides
The Power of Intuition
Intuition is a process that takes place in the mind. It uses past events, and insignificant information and unrecognized trivia, to aid our perception. With intuition, you may find that somehow you are able to recognize things and situations not plainly evident. It is an unexplainable insight that nudges you to see beyond the obvious. For example, you may sense someone is not telling you the truth. You have no explanation for it, but your gut tells you something is not right. Intuition is the thoughts and feelings you have about a particular situation that can’t be explained or justified by logic, and is often correct.
Your spirit is disseminating emotions, experiences, feelings, and acquired knowledge that gives you what is called intuitive instruction. It is intuition that is prompting you—instructing you—to consider what you are feeling and what your other faculties are saying. Intuition has the ability to talk to us in unexpected ways. It works with both your conscious and unconscious mind. It also uses your body to send messages unique to you.
Our mind has the ability to archive all kinds of information not logged in on a conscious level. We often pick up information subconsciously without comprehending it, such as body language, tone of voice, or a particular look. It is quite possible that your intuition has been working for you your entire life and has always sent you messages you should have heeded.
The voice of intuition can be so strong and so persistent that it leaves you without rest until you carry out its dictates. You can learn to fully recognize your intuition’s nudging in time and with practice. And when you do, that feeling of persistent nudging should always get your attention. So, pay attention to your intuition and watch for any physical responses. It may be intuition sending you a message.
The Steps to Increasing Your Intuitive Power
The point to most everything in life is to become better at whatever talents and skills we were gifted. The same is true for anything within the psychic realm. Today we’ll discuss what foundational principles are essential for psychic growth.
Clairvoyants are those with an exceptional ability to gaze into the spiritual realm through their mind’s eye and detect things exhibited as nonphysical energies. Everyone is endowed with some measure of clairvoyance. The trick is to learn how to increase your clairvoyant power and make better sense of the world around you.
- The first and foremost foundation for increasing any psychic power, regardless of the extent of that power, is to put self aside. It is essential that you rely on the power of the universe and not yourself. The universe is attempting to speak through you, so don’t limit it with self.
- Take time to relax. Meditate and breathe slowly. Rid your mind of every thought. Meditation alone will change your brain waves, decrease your metabolic rate and relieve tension.
- To increase your clairvoyant skills, be sure to maintain a positive attitude at all times and believe in what you are doing. A level of faith is essential. If you think it isn’t going to work, it won’t. You can’t be in tune with your mystic gifts unless you are at peace with yourself, your beliefs, and others.
- Overcome any fears you have about being a psychic. Psychic contacts and other supernatural phenomena can be frightening, but fear can hinder your ability more than negativity. If you want to get in touch with your spiritual side, you can’t be afraid of what you will learn or see. Instead, think of the good you can do with the power you were given.
- Practice. You need to become familiar with the process of connecting with the spiritual realm. You have to learn what to expect and what your skills are capable of doing. You can’t just have a fleeting experience with something as serious and as discerning as messages sent from the universe. Practice enough to learn to trust it and correctly interpret the messages you receive.
- Take time to feel what it means to be in the moment and gain confidence in what you are learning. Move your familiarity with your clairvoyant skills from friend to companion.
- And whatever you do, remember any use of your powers should be for the benefit of others, not for personal gain or recognition. People who become selfish with their skills tend to lose them, and your perceptions and interpretations will only be a projection of self—an unreliable reading.
You will hear me give this advice often. Forgetting self is the foundation of any psychic practice at any level. A serious and giving mindset is path to expanding your power. If you are unsure of what powers you may have, take a look at chapter six in Take the Leap. You’ll get a good introduction to what it means to be psychic.
RELATED: Psychic Medium Teaches You Secrets to Swiftly Tap Into Your Psychic Power of Claircognizance
I Want to Learn More!
If you are interested in learning more about how to connect deeply with higher power messages from your own thoughts, check out my Beginning Psychic and Mediumship Development Program. You might also enjoy Take the Leap: What It Really Means to Be Psychic as a start! Get your first four chapters free!
Photo credit: iStock